From clearing clogged drains to removing scratches from wood furniture, here’s a list of 15 genius hacks which will help you tackle some of the small DIY repairs by using everyday items you probably have around the house.
1. Remove scratches from wood furniture by rubbing the meat of a walnut over the damaged areas
via Sea Life Style
2. Unclogging a toilet with wire hanger
Unravel a wire coat hanger and wrap one end with a rag to avoid scratches. With hands covered by rubber gloves, stick covered end into drain and twist/push in circular motion until drain is cleared.
3. Patch small holes in walls with toothpaste
Just squeeze the white paste into the hole, and smooth it over with a putty knife, or a credit card. When the paste dries, it forms a finish similar to spackle.
via Granny’s Tips
4. Or, use a bar of soap
via Joyfully Home
5. Use a rubber band to unscrew stripped screws
The rubber band fills in the gap and creates traction so that you can remove the stripped screw.
6. Fix scratches on leather using olive oil
Rub a cotton swab dampened with olive oil on the leather with a circular motion. Allow the oil to dry for an hour, then wipe it off with a clean cloth.
via Mash-Up Chic
7. Turn wine corks into furniture floor protectors
Cut up a wine cork and glue discs onto the legs of furniture to prevent floor scratches or to stabilize wobbly legs. You can also use them as cabinet door bumpers.
via Martha Stewart
8. Unclog a drain with a zip tie
Use the scissors to cut notches in the plastic zip tie, then insert the zip tie into the drain to remove clogs.
9. Fix the broken toilet handle using zip ties and tape
10. Never bang your thumb again. Use a clothespin while hammering a nail
11. Use WD-40 to remove crayon or marker from walls
Spray a little WD-40 onto a folded paper towel and rub it onto the crayon on the walls.
12. Add a rubber band to door knobs to soften slamming doors
13. Unscrew a broken lightbulb without cutting your fingers with a potato
If you don’t have a potato try an apple.
14. Have a squeaky door? Use Vaseline
To fix a squeaky door, simply apply the Vaseline to the hinges and open and close the door a few times to help distribute the lubricant all over the moving parts.
15. Remove dents from wood furniture or floors with a hot iron
Use an iron on medium hot setting to iron a wet cloth over the dent. To remove a dent from wood could take more than 15 minutes, so keep adding water to the cloth and be patient.
Learn more here.
Did you find this post useful? If so, please share.